Unit 3: Week 03 – Homework – Urban Survival Redesign Part I
In this two-week exercise you will analyze a website with poor information design and user interface. You will re-design the site according to standards, and encode a prototype of the new site in HTML and CSS.
Download the description from Doc Sharing
- Go to Week 03, Doc Sharing, and download “Week 03 Homework – Urban Survival Redesign, Part I.”
- The Instructor will guide you through the homework, and explain what is required to complete the work
- You can visit the site on your own at http://www.urbansurvival.com
Note: DO NOT take any HTML or CSS from the existing Urban Survival site. You should start the project with a clean slate.
Create wireframes and a sitemap
Create a sitemap as described in the homework. The sitemap should attempt to organize the site’s 2000 pages by one or more of the following categories:
- Date of blog post
- Topic of the post
- By audience segment
- By media type
Create a directory structure and default pages
- Following your wireframe and sitemap, create folders and default web pages.
- You do not need to style the site to final form using CSS.
Upload your site to Doc Sharing
- When you have completed the basics, ZIP your site and upload it.
- You will refine your site’s structure and layout next week.
- Complete web design tutorial on WebDesignTuts
Unit 4: Week 04 – Lab – Urban Survival Redesign Part II
Hand in your hand-drawn deliverables
- The Instructor will collect your hand-drawn deliverables
- Hand-drawn wireframe
- After scoring, the Instructor will give back the hand-drawn material for the next step
Unit 4: Week 04 – Homework – Urban Survival Redesign Part II
Download the Exercise from Doc Sharing
- Go to Week 04, Doc Sharing, and download “Week 04 Lab – Urban Survival Redesign Part II”
- Following the Instructor, analyze your wireframes and sitemaps according to
- Business case (stakeholders)r
- Information design
- User experience (Ux)
- Page layout
Create the redesigned site
- Download the “urbane survival” starter website (has a few default files) from Week 04 Doc Sharing
- Create a directory structure (suitable for your information design)
- Create a default page layout for the home page
- Create a default page layout for a blog post page
- Add basic CSS styling, if you can
- Add your Photoshop logo, if completed (See Week 03 Homework – Photoshop Identity for Urban Survival)
Upload to Dropbox
- Archive your completed starter redesign
- Upload to Dropbox under “Week 04 Lab – Urban Survival Redesign, Part II”